Below you will find a list of the questions I get asked on a regular basis.

No, an MCB or circuit breaker provides protection against overcurrent faults where as an RCD or Residual Current Device provides protection against an earth leakage fault. In most domestic installations the MCB should be accompanied by an RCD to provide protection against electric shock. In modern consumer units the MCB and RCD may be combined into an RCBO. The RCBO has the added benefit of only tripping out the particular circuit with the fault as opposed to an RCD which may cut power to all circuits in the event of a fault on one circuit.

We recommend testing your RCD at least once every 6 months.

An RCD (residual current device) is a life-saving device that protects you from electrical shocks. It works by switching off the electricity in the event of an electrical fault.

Including testing, replacing a fuseboard can take two thirds to a full day – we recommend a full day in order to account for any unforeseen circumstances during fitting.

Many homes in Bristol and Bath are over 100 years old and therefore have a range of electric issues due to being installed possibly 50 years ago. This can mean a full rewire is needed, or it can be just that you need more sockets in some of your rooms.

A burning smell could be a sign of the start of an electrical fire. Typically when an electrical accessory starts to overheat it gives off a distinctive and slightly fishy smell.  If you think you have an issue then you should switch off your electrics at the consumer unit and contact us straight away.

Have you ever noticed a spark when switching on a switch or socket? This can be an early sign of a worn accessory and if left unchecked can lead to an electric shock.

If you receive a shock of any size from metal switches or sockets then call us immediately. It may be a sign of serious earthing issues.

Flickering lights can be a sign of faulty wiring or loose connection issues. Do your lamps repeatedly blow? The most common cause for this is as a result of using cheap supermarket lamps. Always use quality lamps from a branded manufacturer.

Do not make the mistake of constantly resetting your circuit breakers; our engineers are experts in fault finding and diagnosis. If a circuit often trips it could be the sign of faulty wiring or accessory or an issue with an appliance that may be causing a fault on the circuit.

We are all to often asked to redo poorly installed electrical work previously carried out by others using cheap, inferior quality materials which was done to achieve the cheapest price.

We only fit quality branded cable and accessories using the highest standards of installation and as such we are confident enough to provide a five year guarantee on labour with all materials guaranteed as per manufacturers T&C’s and period of guarantee.

We hold all required insurance in connection with the work we carry out. This includes but is not limited to Public Liability, Employer Liability, Personal Indemnity. Full details and copies of certificates held are available on request.

As an NICEIC Approved Contractor we are subject to independent assessment annually to ensure our work continues to comply with relevant technical & safety standards. We have held Full NICEIC Approved Contractor status for seventeen years. For further details on the NICEIC and their Approved Contractor scheme can be found at

VAT is automatically added to most of the goods you buy in shops and services you purchase. Regardless of whether your electrical contractor is VAT registered or not you will pay VAT on the materials he supplies, the difference being the VAT registered electrician will show the price with the VAT separated instead of showing it as a single all-inclusive figure.

When turnover for any business exceeds a certain amount set by the Government then it must be registered for VAT. If your chosen contractor is VAT registered you should view it as re-assurance that you are dealing with a successful contractor, who is good at what they do.

In 2005 the Government introduced electrical safety rules into the Building Regulations for England and Wales. Because of this, most fixed electrical installation work in homes must now, by law, meet the requirements Part P of the Building Regulations.

Apart from some minor works, all electrical works must either be reported to local building control or be carried out by an electrician who is registered with one of a number of government approved scheme providers.

By law, all homeowners and landlords must be able to prove that all electrical installation work meets the requirement of Part P, or they are committing a criminal offence